This course begins by covering the various claims a single company can make to obtain relief for trading losses. Where losses are carried forward, the restrictions resulting from a change in ownership are covered.The loss relief available where a company is a member of a group is dealt with next. The course then looks at corporation tax on chargeable gains, covering indexation allowance and roll over relief on the replacement of business assets, together with the substantial shareholding exemption. Finally, the ways in which membership of a group can impact on corporation tax on capital gains is dealt with.
On completion of this course, participants will have a greater understanding of:
- How companies obtain relief for trading losses
- The effect of a change of ownership on the carry forward of losses
- When group relief can be claimed for losses
- The operation of corporation tax on capital gains
- The relief from tax on capital gains where business assets are replaced
- How to obtain the benefit of the substantial shareholding exemption
- How membership of a group can affect corporation tax on chargeable gains
Authored by: Geoff Sykes
After qualifying with a small firm Geoff spent ten years in London with Deloittes, originally as a tax specialist, and later as National Tax Training Manager. For the next twenty years he was a tax partner in a medium sized firm based in Leeds and Kendal, advising a wide range of business and personal clients on all aspects of tax. He also has experience as a company director and as a director of a retail cooperative society.
If you would like to cover this topic in greater detail, we run the following courses face to face.
Corporation tax refresher and update
Essential Tax Update for the Accountant in Practice or Employment
CPD Points: 1
CPD Duration (hours): 1
Access: 12 months from purchase date